Friday 24 January 2014

Post hoc

Back through the door, casting off layers,  the feeling has returned to my fingers, I am greeted with a disarming question. Dad, why don't you just take photos and then do your work at home?

There is a word for thoughts which colour your actions and influence the choices we make without first passing the scrutiny of reason. Prejudice.

The question was sincere, so I answer. I like the way you see things change. The time it gives you to notice, things you might otherwise miss, the challenge and urgency of siezing them before they change again.

I would like to have added; And because the drawing is more than the image, it's the experience, of getting there, being there, feeling, thinking and seeing there. And I like that too.

When I was a child I would talk to the weather. Argue and compete with it. While mostly grown up now, and a little less quarrelsome, an element of this remains.  Ok wind, we'll dispense with the detail.

Perhaps I am prejudiced. Who, after all, can claim to be in full possession of the facts about anything.

For people working towards verisimilitude, cameras are great. Another valuable tool in the painters kit. I suppose I'm just looking for something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment